Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What is Happiness....


From my childhood at every stage of my life , I used to here or say to myself that if I do this I shall become happy.

In my studies I used to feel / I was made to feel that if I score good grades then I would be happy. I used to dream of becoming a topper and the happiness I would be experience after such an achievement. Finally the day came,But i felt like the happiness I felt was far below than which I dreamt.

In my career I always used to feel that if I get a good job then I would lead a very happy life. That day too came. But still the feeling the experience of happiness was less than what I dreamt.

And days went by like this feeling and asking to myself what actually is happiness....

Now after long many experiences, I began realizing that happiness is not something that is materialist which you can quantify and also can say that some logical sequence of steps would lead us to it.

To say in the words of Democritus:

"Happiness resides not in possessions and not in gold; the feeling of happiness dwells in the soul."

Suddenly, I began to realize that all these times I was happy but just that I haven't realized that I was happy. And I was happy even if failed to fulfill my dreams.

So, whenever in doubt that if you are happy or not recollect the word of David Burns:

"There is only one person who could ever make you happy, and that person is you."

No comments:

Post a Comment